President's letter (16 Feb 2006) regarding Moderators and their Criteria
From SI Exco News
Dear National Secretaries and Area Coordinators
As for past GA meetings, I as President will formally delegate the function of chair of sessions at the General Assembly to neutral Moderators.
These same Moderators will also facilitate the workshops.
In making my selection I was guided by criteria developed by Gary Sealey (Interim Programme Chair) in consultation with others. I am posting them on www.siexco.org
I asked some National Secretaries to suggest people who fit these criteria to be Moderators.
The following three people, listed alphabetically, have been suggested and fit the criteria:
Ms. Julie Dotsch, Canada
Mr. Chris Jones, Canada
Ms. Pat Patfoort, Belgium
In view of the heavy workload we are facing at Latina, we may need additional help. Please contact me if you know other people who would be willing and able to fill this role.
I am optimistic that we will all benefit from using several neutral Moderators acting for me in my statutory role as the meeting chair.
In peace and friendship
President – Servas International (16 February 2006)
CRITERIA FOR NEUTRAL MODERATORS:
a) what Moderators must be able to do:
- act decisively
- stay neutral
- listen keenly and actively
- communicate effectively
- recognize developing sources of conflict, and deal with them
- be alert to differences of opinion, be able to summarize common and different principles
- ensure a fair hearing for everyone
- be sensitive to cultural differences and helpful to people expressing themselves in English as a second language
- think on their feet
- act positively
- maintain their sense of humour
- keep the Programme schedule of workshops and voting sessions on time
b) what Moderators must know:
- how Servas operates, and what are the different kinds of members groups (e.g. incorporated, large, medium-sized, small, newly formed, etc.)
- meeting Rules of Order, Roberts Rules of Order
- Servas Statutes
- Swiss Civil Code